Tag Archives: rear mudwings

7/6/2021

This week work has returned to the boot.  I made a template for the boot floor and then cut a piece of new lino for it.  Rebecca helped to glue down the lino, however we didn’t quite get it in exactly the correct position so some remedial work is needed.  I was annoyed to find the new lino had some cuts and scratches in it that were not done by us!  Having fitted the lino, I was able to fit the new steel sill (after painting the underside) that I made a while ago, then I hung the doors.  This revealed several fitting problems that hopefully I can overcome by shimming the hinges.

In between doing the above, I found time to paint the step light inside with some white paint and cut two rubber gaskets, one for mounting against the body and the other for sealing the lid to the base.  I also found some thin clear acrylic so I cut two pieces to form one thick piece for the small window in the light.  Still waiting for the brass hinge split pins to arrive.

16/5/2021

Having fitted the final nearside window, I was able to properly install the waistrail beading.  I am a bit unhappy with the positioning of it as it rises slightly under the last window.  I may try to correct this before painting.

With the beading done I fitted the inner wheelarch cover.  This required the manufacture of replacement mounting bracket from angle iron, screwed to the floor alongside the wheel opening. I also had to do some work on the beading around the border of the wheel opening which would otherwise be inaccessible after the wheelarch cover was fitted.

Rear wheelhousing repainted, step plate replaced and assembly reinstalled.

Next, I was able to install the outer wheelarch and mudwing assembly that I had made up previously (see entry for 29/4/2021).  I was surprised at how well this fitted.    The last couple of days have been spent in finishing the mudwing with filler and preparing the existing half-round wheelarch beading for refitting.

10/4/2021

Work this week has mostly been to do with the boot.  The rear doors had their inner panels fitted, primed and painted.  The door lock fittings were cleaned up and painted black.  The boot light has been refurbished and repainted.  This all in preparation for completing the boot when the weather is a little warmer I can lay the new lino.

In parallel with this I have been preparing to make the new mudwings and inner wheelarches.  The material has arrived and yesterday I made a cardboard template for the nearside opening.