Tag Archives: rear corner panel

7/9/2021

I have been concentrating on finishing the nearside rear quarter panel for the last couple of weeks (with interruptions) but at last it is in undercoat after many hours of careful filling and sanding.   I applied the first coat of undercoat using a roller but didn’t brush it out and I wasn’t really satisfied with the finish.  The second coat was sprayed on and it much better.  I will apply a third undercoat and flat that back when it is time to lay on the top coat. I also ground out all the gouges and scars in the stainless steel corner bumpers then polished them.  They are not perfect but acceptable.  And shiny!

Final job for this entry was the fitting (today) of the last two pieces of vertical bearding for the nearside, so apart from paint the nearside is finished!

 

27/8/2021

Work was interrupted by the need to prepare the MW for Lodge’s Coaches classic vehicle show on the 22nd, the entire previous week having been spent polishing off the effects of the weather.

Filling and sanding of the nearside rear corner has continued and it is nearly ready for paint.  Today I fitted the vertical beading that joins this panel to the one that surrounds the boot door opening.  This necessitated fitting the small piece of vertical beading in the waistrail to ensure the lower beading was correctly aligned.

During this period I have been polishing the small stainless corner bumpers, which included grinding out the accident damage of many years and other scratches.

15/7/2021

Various car problems and unwellness have prevented much progress since the last entry.  Having prepared the rain deflector ready for fitting, a number of other jobs needed to be done before it could be attached to the bus. Mounting the short piece of specially-shaped rain deflector above the rearmost nearside window (see previous entry) necessitated the prior painting of this window frame with final body colour as it would be inaccessible after.  The remaining nearside window frames also needed this treatment so I took the opportunity to address the cosmetic filling over the welded corners and other small finishing details of these, then gave them two coats of red undercoat before painting the top horizontals in body colour.  The non-opening window (second from the rear) needed some filling to the top horizontal so as I write this is awaiting its final coat of body colour.

The S-shaped moulding which trims the corner panel to the  rearmost nearside window was fitted yesterday and had some cosmetic filling applied today.

The window itself needed some cosmetic filling to improve its appearance and alignment, which I did today and finished with a thin coat of red oxide.

In between filling jobs on the windows, I have gradually been attending to the cosmetic appearance of the nearside rear lower corner which is now almost ready for sanding.