I have been stripping down underneath the cab this week, including removing the mudwing which is the wrong type.  This gave access to the main power and battery cables and the cab bulkhead which has a lot of surface rust but is not rotted through anywhere.  This work was preceded by removal of the battery boxes from the offside, both of which need to be replaced as they are excessively corroded.    Originally there were four 6v batteries fitted in pairs either side of the gangway.  It is my intention to continue to use a pair of 12v batteries and it would make sense to fit them on alternate sides to balance out the weight,   I have yet to remove the nearside boxes but the two that are now redundant will have floor plated over and the box covers retained for storage.

Other work has  involved correcting some poor work done by the previous owners – trimming the bolts on the offside front springs/rear hanger to prevent them binding on the chassis and replacing the felt washers on the ball joints and various missing split pins and washers.  However, the cold weather and health problems have prevented me from completing work under the cab for now so today I dismantled the first of the rotten offside half-drop windows with a view to preparing the parts ready for installation in the new frames I made last year.


It has been very cold and wet recently, with just the odd  dry day. But I have completed painting of the offside frame ready for new panels and window installation. The emergency door needs to be rebuilt so that will be a major job for 2022.  This week I removed the fuel tank and am in the process of cleaning it down ready for professional refurbishment. Whilst it is away I will paint the chassis and carry out any underfloor work that needs doing.

1/1/2022 – Year summary for 2021

The last two weeks have seen the completion of repairs to the O/S frame, the last of the rusty screws and nails removed and the holes dowelled.   The last of the new flitch plated have been fitted.   The repairs to the cantrail have been sanded level and the rest of the frame sanded and prepared for painting.  The unpainted woodwork has been primed and the a start made on painting the whole of the exposed frame with grey top coat.

As it is the first day of the year, a summary of work completed in the last twelve months is appropriate.

The nearside of the bus from the entrance rearwards has been structurally completed, all windows panels are in place and beaded.  The rear corner panel has been cosmetically filled and finished in undercoat.  A new mudwing and liner was fabricated and installed and the wheelbox cover stripped, painted and refitted with new mountings.

The roof has been completely stripped of all paint and repaired where necessary to make it watertight.

The roof over the entrance and nearside front wheel has been repaired and is ready for cosmetic finishing, including a new valance over the entrance steps.

A new rear number plate box was fabricated and installed, along with new bulb holders and wiring for the stop and tail lights. The boot doors have been refitted and primed.

The destination box glass has been removed and a replacement obtained.  Some repairs have been made to the wooden frame that supports the glass.

The entrance step light was repaired and repainted ready for fitting.

The boot was finished internally with new lino.

Work has now commenced on the offside with all windows removed, frame repairs completed above the floor and the frame partially painted.