The wheelarch mudwing is now painted (first coat of madder red) and Abigail and I installed the flexible black piping that seals the joint between the wing and the body at the wheel arch. This enabled me to refit the curved beading.
Nearside rear mudwing replaced.
view looking towards the rear.
Whilst this work was in progress I refurbished the entrance step light. This involved making a new base (complete with lampholder bracket) for the light unit as the original cast alloy one had corroded to the point of being unusable. This is now finished in red undercoat and awaiting the final paint, white inside and DG red outside. I also drilled and tapped the mounting holes for the assembly in the step bay. I’m also waiting for a replacement for the small piece of glass through which the bulb shines.
Having fitted the final nearside window, I was able to properly install the waistrail beading. I am a bit unhappy with the positioning of it as it rises slightly under the last window. I may try to correct this before painting.
With the beading done I fitted the inner wheelarch cover. This required the manufacture of replacement mounting bracket from angle iron, screwed to the floor alongside the wheel opening. I also had to do some work on the beading around the border of the wheel opening which would otherwise be inaccessible after the wheelarch cover was fitted.
Rear wheelhousing repainted, step plate replaced and assembly reinstalled.
Next, I was able to install the outer wheelarch and mudwing assembly that I had made up previously (see entry for 29/4/2021). I was surprised at how well this fitted. The last couple of days have been spent in finishing the mudwing with filler and preparing the existing half-round wheelarch beading for refitting.
Since the last entry I manufactured the two treadplates for the top of the wheel housings then red-oxide primed them both. I fitted the nearside tread plate to the stainless steel wheel housing cover then gave the whole assembly a coat of interior ochre brown. Whilst the paint was hardening I removed the rearmost NS window frame (fitted temporarily some time ago) and the half-round beading so that I could install the glass, which I did today. The window assembly is now fitted back in the bus and I can complete the nearside now, apart for cosmetic finishing and painting,