25/2/2024

First job of the week was completeing the missing section of half-drop frame, adapted from an aluminium extrusion intended for edging a porch canopy.  This required some very careful work, cutting down to length and size and removing an inner piece which I managed by grinding a slot in it then using a 6mm drill as an edge mill to clean out the slot.  I removed the glass from the from the frame that was to receive the new piece and cleaned up the top rail and the clasp handles.  A tricky job was making the brackets to join the corners of the frame with the new piece, several attempts ensued despite the fact I had made several of these before.  However they were completed and the frame succesfully assembled with new glass and silicone glazing compound.  Although on the surface a small thing, this was a job that I had long waited to do, uncertain of how to achieve it.  So a small milestone!  At the end of the day I started to cut the nylon top strips for the window frames but problems with the bandsaw meant I couldn’t complete this task before end of play on Saturday, however this was repaired on Sunday morning and I was able to cut the remaining nylon strips.  They need tidying up though.

18/2/2024

Started the week by cleaning throughly the glass for the fixed portion of the half-drop windows.  Noted that two are badly chipped,  I have one replacement so need to order another and the two original panes are badly scratched which is unfortunate.  Next I stripped the chrome from the four divider bars, removed all the old rubber and then painted the non-visible flat side with silver hammerite just to keep it fresh.  Final job was to start creating the mkissing frame section from one of the half-drop sliding frames.  This needed a new lower horizontal.  After a fruitless attempt to obtain some brass section, I found a surplus piece of aluminium that could be adapted to the job.  This was proceeding well.

11/2/2024

Produced the templates for the remaining glass needed, i.e. the windscreen (need to find the hinge rod), the rearmost o/s window (the one that cracked) and the plain window (frontmost o/s window).  All that is needed now is the emergency door window but I can’t do that until I strip the door down and repair the frame.