I have been concentrating on finishing the nearside rear quarter panel for the last couple of weeks (with interruptions) but at last it is in undercoat after many hours of careful filling and sanding. I applied the first coat of undercoat using a roller but didn’t brush it out and I wasn’t really satisfied with the finish. The second coat was sprayed on and it much better. I will apply a third undercoat and flat that back when it is time to lay on the top coat. I also ground out all the gouges and scars in the stainless steel corner bumpers then polished them. They are not perfect but acceptable. And shiny!
Final job for this entry was the fitting (today) of the last two pieces of vertical bearding for the nearside, so apart from paint the nearside is finished!
Work last week was limited by other commitments but I did succeed in fitting the rain deflector above the windows on the nearside. This is now properly fixed to the wooden “cheeses” on each window pillar and to the cant rail. It needs some attention to get the lower edge straight. Today I have been making the beading for the window pillars.
Having fitted the final nearside window, I was able to properly install the waistrail beading. I am a bit unhappy with the positioning of it as it rises slightly under the last window. I may try to correct this before painting.
With the beading done I fitted the inner wheelarch cover. This required the manufacture of replacement mounting bracket from angle iron, screwed to the floor alongside the wheel opening. I also had to do some work on the beading around the border of the wheel opening which would otherwise be inaccessible after the wheelarch cover was fitted.
Rear wheelhousing repainted, step plate replaced and assembly reinstalled.
Next, I was able to install the outer wheelarch and mudwing assembly that I had made up previously (see entry for 29/4/2021). I was surprised at how well this fitted. The last couple of days have been spent in finishing the mudwing with filler and preparing the existing half-round wheelarch beading for refitting.