Tag Archives: wheelarch

6/5/2021

Since the last entry I manufactured the two treadplates for the top of the wheel housings then red-oxide primed them both.  I fitted the nearside tread plate to the stainless steel  wheel housing cover then gave the whole assembly a coat of interior ochre brown.   Whilst the paint was hardening I removed the rearmost NS window frame  (fitted temporarily some time ago) and the half-round beading so that I could install the glass, which I did today.  The window assembly is now fitted back in the bus and I can complete the nearside now, apart for cosmetic finishing and painting,

 

29/4/2021

Having cut out the plywood buck for the front face of the mudwing, I was able to make the aluminum version for the nearside.   The top flange was turned over the buck with a panel beating hammer and a lot of heat, principally I suspect because I was trying to fold too much material and I trimmed this back to about an inch from the front face before assembling to the inner wing.  I rolled the lower edges around 3mm welding rod.  Next I manufactured the inner part of the wing that fits inside the wheel housing; this had a cut-out to accommodate screws from the read plate that sits on top of the wheel housing interior cover.  The two inner edges are wire-beaded as well.  Finally I riveted the front face to the inner wing and filled any gaps with aluminium solder.  It will need a final finish with filler after fitting.

New tread plate welded and ready for paint.

Whilst this work was going on I also stripped the paint off the nearside wheel housing cover.  This turned out to be made of stainless steel, which was surprising.  This was then primed and given two coats of red undercoat ready for fitting.

Last thing today I cut the pyramid treads and the steel for a new tread plate to fit on the wheel housing cover.

29/4/2020

Assembled the metalwork to the rear of the OS wheelarch today, this took most of the day.   Then I drilled and countersunk the screw holes in the OS boot upper liner panel to make it easier  to fit once the stress panel is in place.   The last part of the day was spent cleaning  and derusting the metal gangway support in the boot.