Today I installed the plain window, last but one towards the rear of the bus. I started to assemble the last window, cut the rubber to size and drilled the frame only to discover the glass had been cut incorrectly, so I will not be able to complete the nearside windows this year.
As it is the end of the year, a summary of work completed in the last twelve months is appropriate.
Looking back, the work completed this year comprises:
Droplight window frames, full set of 8 completed, four assembled, several with new glass, and fitted to nearside along with one plain window opposite the emergency exit.
Entrance steps finished.
Rear window removed, frame repaired and window refitted with new seal.
Corner panels removed, stripped, reshaped and repaired then refitted.
Boot rebuilt, including the steel stress panel that closes off the front, framing around the door opening, the boot inner walls and I reskinned the boot doors.
Nearside cladding panels installed below the windows.
Entries from 4/10 were lost due to failure of QHoster in allowing their installation to be hacked and encrypted by ransomware. A summary follows:
The angle brackets have been fitted, these reinforce the joints between the lower perimeter frame and the body cross-bearers at the boot.
Next the external cladding panels for the waistrail above the boot doors and below the rear window was fitted.
The entrance steps were next on the list, the last of the non-slip strips fitted and the bottom step drilled for the rearmost handrail which has been temporarily fitted to provide location guidance for the horizontal beading below the rear bulkhead window.
Work then turned to fitting the cladding to the nearside from the windows downwards in preparation for fitting the nearside windows.
Next, three droplight frames were painted ready for assembly then the two broken droplights were reglazed and the brass frames repaired as necessary. Over the last few days I have fitted out the first of the frames (bay 2) with the Delrin strips which will take the screws for the droplight fittings. The droplight components have been “chromed” as necessary and the top seal glued with silicone to its aluminium runner – this will be fitted last after the glazing is installed in the frame.
Today was spent cutting the box section stock for the remaining window frames. This is almost complete and just requires cutting to length.
As it is the end of the year, a summary of work completed in the last twelve months is appropriate. 2019 has been the year of bodywork.
Starting at the front, the main steel bulkhead has has been fully repaired and painted.
New steel has been grafted into the roof structure above the entrance.
The complex shaped aluminium fairing immediately in front of the entrance was repaired by welding and refitted.
The entrance steps have been completely replaced with new steel and new mahogany treads. The floor around the entrance has been replaced.
The nearside chassis member outside face has been silvered from the rear wheels forward to the engine bay.
The nearside main body frame has been repaired, new steel flitch plates made and fitted and painted from the front rearwards to the rear wheel opening.
Two fixed-light window frames have been rebuilt and are awaiting glass. Five droplight frames have been manufactured and the remaining three are in progress.
The first bay rearwards from the entrance has been completed with new panels and the first half drop window completed and installed.
The plan for 2020 is to complete the nearside, rebuild the rear end and boot and progress to the offside starting with the emergency door.